For Visitors

Types of Visa(Eligible Applicants for Employment Residence)

Employee : E-1, E-3 visa

An employee without Korean citizenship needs to obtain a working visa, E-1 or E-3, which is reserved for teachers and researchers employed by Korean institutions on salary basis. IBS must first petition the Daejeon Immigration Office on the behalf of the prospective employee. He or she must submit the some documents to IBs for the necessary paperwork.

If accompanied by family, the employee needs to provide IBS with the additional documents. On receiving the documents, IBS will petition the Deajeon Immigration Office for the E-1 for professor and E-3 for researchers. It takes approximately 15 days for IBs to prepare and submit the petition to the Deajeon Immigration Office.

When IBS receives the approval notice from the Immigration Office, we will send an w-mail to the employee informing of the confirmation number of visa issuance. After receiving the confirmation number, the employee should fill out the application of visa issuance with this number at a local Korean embassy or consulate office. The application should be submitted along with other documents required by the consulate office. Allow a few days for visa approval.

For more information, please contact

Residence Status Eligible Applicant Maximum Residence Period
1. People who are qualified according to the “Higher Education Act” standards and wish to teach or conduct research at educational facilities. Professors who work in academic organizations Full-time lecturers or professors hired by educational facilities Research professors in certain fields at universities / colleges or laboratories attached to universities / colleges 2. High-quality human resources in science. Individuals who seek to provide lectures or conduct research at science-related educational facilities. They must have letters of recommendation from the Minister of Science, ICT & Future Planning. 5 years
1. Scientists and engineers engaged in the field of natural science or in high technology research at institutes established according to the “Facilitation Law for Special Research Institutions, Establishment and Operation”. 2. Scientists and engineers engaged in research at institutes operated according to “the Defense Acquisition Program Act”. 3. Scientists and engineers engaged in research at the following institutes under contracts with the organizations to develop high technology on the basis of natural science or industrial applications according to relevant laws (e.g. the “Technology Development Promotion Act”.) Company-attached institutes Industry technology research corporations that operate under the “Industry Technology Research Corporation Promotion Act” Universities or colleges administered under the education law National/public institutes Technology-supporting public institutions administered under the “Formation Law for Industrial Technology” Non-profit research institutes in science and technology whose foundations are based on the Civil Code and other relevant laws 4. Individuals engaged in natural-science research or high-technology development at science/engineering-related research institutes Individuals must possess letters of recommendation from the Minister of Science, ICT & Future Planning. Master or Ph. D. holders in science and engineering fields with more than three years’ R&D experience Ph.D holders in science and engineering fields Invited professors (residence qualification : E-1) or researchers (residence qualification : E-3) in the fields that are designated as national new growth engines under the WCU (World Class University) project sponsored by the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning 3 years